View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 10:42 AM
Diesel Dandy

Post Paralell Glow Plugs

O.K., you're in a better place now, unplug the glow plug relay and use the $5 Harbor Freight analog meter to discern the resistance of each of the 5 glow pugs ~ if any are not close to equal they're in dire need of replacement .

DO NOT use Champion nor Autolite brand glow plugs ! .

There are prolly other low quality brands I've forgotten about .

In this colder weather, use the seat belt lamp time to decide when to begin cranking, you'll discover it really helps ~ the engine should start easily even if it runs bumpy when cold .

The valves on these cars need periodic adjusting, the job isn't difficult but it does need a pair of specially bent 14MM open end wrenches, easy enough to make if you have access to a welder, or less co$t to buy then paying a shop to do the job .

For now, go to your auto parts store and buy a bottle of "Diesel Kleen" by 'Power Service', get the white plastic bottle, (White for Winter, Silver for Summer, remember this) , pour about 1/2 of the bottle in the fuel tank then fill it up, it'll ease cold starting plus help loosen crud that's likely accumulated in the fuel system .

There's a bunch of basic things you'll need to do of have done by a competent and honest M-B repair shop, they're out there but you'll have to hunt them up in your locality .

_YOU_ can do most of the basic tune up stuff if you're handy with auto repairs and you'll usually do a better job because YOU CARE unlike most mechanics .

Be aware that German vehicles need more attention than do others, if you're willing to do this then you'll be very happy with an old Mercedes, if not clean it up and by Spring have it waxed and polished, then you'll easily sell it before it drives you crazy .

I did then what I knew how to do ~ now that I know better I do better