Thread: Spitfire.
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 07:32 PM
Renaissances Dude

That wasn't the best sentence. I meant it was the only fighter that was continually built during the war. Others came in or went out in the mix.

I just learned this factoid and maybe I'm not fully in the light on it. Here's the first bit I read about it:

https://www.aviationcv.com/aviation-blog/2016/spitfire-the-only-fighter-built-wwii

Quote:
SPITFIRE: THE ONLY FIGHTER BUILT THROUGHOUT WWII

The Spitfire, also called Supermarine Spitfire, is the most famous plane of World War Two. The single-seat aircraft was the only British fighter in continuous production throughout the entire war. It became the backbone of the Royal Air Force Fighter Command and was most noted for beating back the German Luftwaffe during the Battle of Britain. The distinct elliptical wings were designed to have the thinnest possible cross section, which resulted in higher speeds than many other fighters of the day.

The Spitfire, renowned for winning victory laurels in the Battle of Britain (1940–41) along with the Hawker Hurricane, served in every theatre of the war and was produced in more variants than any other British aircraft. The airframe was so versatile that it was able to serve in many different capacities, including interceptor, photo reconnaissance, fighter-bomber, and trainer. The fighters provided crucial air support for the D-Day landings and many were adapted to be fighter-bombers to carry out attacks on German ground forces. Originally fitted with a 1,000-hp Rolls-Royce Merlin V-12 engine, the Spitfire was later adapted to handle the 2,300 horses cranked out by the massive Griffon engine also built by Rolls-Royce.