View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 08:34 PM

Gooched up timing chain swap

Now it's my time to screw something up. Hopefully now to bad but i'm currently scratching my head trying to get it figured out.

Finally got everything in place to tackle the timing chain swap
from my earlier thread
TimingChain,Lifters,Injectors and GlowPlugs Today!

Had my new chain. Master links and the crimp tool ready. Even had a tool that was supposed to hold the chain in place making mistakes far less likely but it ended up being for om61x engines. It would not fit on mine.

With only to wife to lend a helping hand to guide the chain in i decided to go ahead with it.

Ok' i'll try to keep this brief...

-got everything situated ready to roll the chain in

-started off, me turning the engine and wife keeping hands on the chain keeping engagement with the cam sprocket

-Hand slipped, chain lost engagement with cam sprocket and "jumped forward" into the cavity headed towards the IP side

-pulled the chain back out and continued rolling it in

-got it all the way back around and ends temporarily linked together

- timing marks were bad off, when the crank was hitting on TDC the mark on the cam were probably about 13mm off target, when the marks on the cam where together the crank was about 20 degrees off TDC.

-SO, i Stopped with the crank on TDC undid the temporary link of the chain and moved the cam by itself to make the marks line up and put the link back in

- rotated the engine several times by hand. every time the marks come around its all hitting together on TDC

So i tried it. No start, No chug, NO puffs... nothing. not even trying to fire.

I think my injection timing is off somehow by the chain jumping down the hole and pulling it out again.

Got a RIV locking tool, and a IP oring on the way. Currently driving the blues mobile and trying to increase my understanding in hopes of salvaging a victory on this one.

i would greatly any and all input on this situation from you all.

former members
1984 300D "Blues Mobile"

1978 300CD "El Toro"