View Single Post
Old 01-25-2019, 09:55 AM
Diesel Dandy

Post Smogging a 1979 Dodge D200 360 V8

Whew, what a raggedy old rig this is, anyone here have experience with these old workhorse Dodges ? .

1979 Dodge D200 long bed crew cab with all steel service bed, 8,2000 GVW so although it's technically a Medium Duty rig, it had Heavy Duty emissions check to go through .

The original Thermoquad 4 BBL carby is long gone, replaced by a Holly 4165 double bowl spread bore 4 BBL .

So far I've :

Replaced the A.I.R. pump, check valves and diverter vale .

Replaced the EGR valve , it doesn't come on @ idle , opens as the engine RPM's increase and the passages are not blocked .

Replaced the perforated distributor vacuum advance unit, cap, rotor, wires and spark plugs, gapping them to a loose .035", the FSM calls for .035" although I usually run at least .060" on HEI ignition systems .

Timing set to 6 degrees BTDC @ idle speed of 750 RPM per the FSM .

The carby was sent out for rebuilding using the nice factory Holly rebuild kit .

I've gotten the carby to idle smoothly , the engine draws 22" of vacuum at idle .

There is a slight vacuum leak in the power brake booster, until I find another one (oddly it only fits a few years of trucks) I've [pinched the booster vacuum hose closed to set the idle , it's smooth as silk now .

The air cleaner's heated air intake flap and thermostat works fine as does the dist. vacuum advance delay thermostat, I've replaced pretty much every vacuum hose under the hood .

It whistles through the idle emissions test but the cruise went from 42 PPM HC to 488 PPM @ 2,500 RPMs, I'm thinking maybe the activated charcoal cannister is not correctly connected .

This beast is too big to fit on the smog machine's rollers, so it a stationary idle and cruise test .

It used to breeze through but hasn't been tested in a couple years, old fuel drained out of the fuel tank, fresh fuel added along with new clear plastic fuel filter that's clean .

I did then what I knew how to do ~ now that I know better I do better