View Single Post
Old 03-03-2019, 01:23 AM
Renaissances Dude

Rooting is not that tough, there are a few tricks. One is to have a few pieces of scrap ABS or PVC, 1-1/2 or 2" dia. Maybe an 8"and a 12" for starters. The deluxe machines have a flexible containment thing that sticks out a couple of feet but most don't. You take off the cutting bit and slide it over. When that sucker is spinning, you need to have a means to push it forward into the pipe, and especially when you hit the root mass, to push it into and through it.

The first 8 feet or so you can usually just push it down but then I pull out about a foot and clamp it in place, then holding onto the ABS scrap a coax it further in. Eventually you have to go with less than that pulled out at a time, maybe 6 inches. Then there will be a small arc between the machine and the cleanout opening, you use the ABS to coax that arc into relative straightness, that will give some push on the business end. Eventually you hear a surge of water running. Ideally.

Strong gloves. Have several pair on hand. I usually put on the nitrile surgery type then put on the heavy duty items.

Not the nicest work but some of them cats make $100k plus. When fresh feces are coming up the washing machine drain, people pull out their checkbooks. I've done it maybe 10 or 12 times.

Last edited by cmac2012; 03-03-2019 at 01:15 PM.