View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzi View Post
I suggested an r129 for my brother in law, and honestly, I kind of regret it. The r129 cars are amazing machines, but I’m just waiting for the top seals to dump hydraulic fluid all over my sister in law or nieces dress while on their way to some formal event.
The top seals are only a leak point if the top / roll bar is being actuated. I pulled the fuse from the pump relay on my car long ago.

Quote:
The biodegradable wiring is said to not be an issue for most 1990’s years, but I’ve seen enough first hand, and heard of issues seen in the late 1990’s that it’s just not worth it to me.
I have a 97 SL320 / 97 C280 and a 97 E320 parts car + a couple of 97 M104 engines all have great wiring harnesses. Any reports of late 90's having bio wiring are likely from those that consider any electrical fault a " short " and any coolant / overheating issue a head gasket.

Quote:
560sl, yeah, those are the ones with the biggest number in their name, biggest 227 hp motor (but nothing compared to r129 m119 322 or even the v12), but I’ve got some stones to throw eek though I’ve never owned one besides two parts cars.
The M104 SL320 makes the same power but is ~ 500 LB heavier.

Quote:
Crank position sensors and computers tell the system when to spark. Mechanic land. Who’s going to try and figure out those blink codes? Has anyone here really done it? I believe people have, but seriously, what percentage? Shade tree mechanic work is better done on older simpler cars, not ones with computers (IMO). So... 1985 and earlier for me.
1997 OBD2 brings forth lots of real time data not blink codes making diagnosis very easy. Besides, I'm pretty sure with the proper scan tool one can get data from a blink code car. ( I never tried it so can't say for sure )

Try diagnosing ABS on these 85 era cars as they don't have a self diagnostic system according to past posts.