View Single Post
Old 05-05-2003, 12:31 PM
LarryBible

Ohtooman,

The ONLY way you can switch back with success is to COMPLETELY disconnect everything and flush THOROUGHLY to remove all oil from everywhere. Remove the compressor and flush with mineral oil, dump it out, put in another load of mineral oil and dump that out, turning the compressor by hand with each flush. Then replace the filter drier, reconnect everything with new o-rings, evacuate and recharge.

I hope everyone else is listening to your experience. Moving away from R12 is simply FALSE ECONOMY!

dc88168,

Doing the $39.95 conversion leaves mineral oil in the system and worse yet, often leaves air in the system. A certain amount of R12 is left behind in the remaining mineral oil which outgases from the oil, mixing with the 134. This will set up an acid within the system that will eat it up from the inside out.

As I said earlier, the ONLY refrigerant I would convert to would be 134, but if you want a long term solution, you must flush, change filter drier, compressor oil and evacuate to have a chance for long term success.

Best of luck,