View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiwanga View Post
I pulled codes using an eBay blinking light reader. I made an error in translating codes. They where as follows:

35 air pump
39 egr switch over valve
42 can communication defective
47 control of ignition coil voltage exceeded limits

I cleared codes and idles the car for one min. Code 42 came back. Spark plug threads are covered in engine oil from leaking valve cover gasket. I’m replacing the plugs.
Instead of just letting it idle, you might want to put some miles on it to see if any additional codes return and/or go away.

I assume your cause for concern is that the Code 42 is illuminating the Check Engine Light, which would cause an inspection failure. That CAN communication failure code is specific to either the ASR module, the EA/CC/ISC module or the diagnostic module, so all I can recommend is that you try tracing out the wiring to each of the modules and see if there are any breaks, verify that the connectors are clean and tight, check that the electrical grounds are clean, etc.

With regard to the oil in the spark plug tubes, my car also suffered from this and it was a precursor to needing a head gasket replacement; hopefully, this won't be the case for you - good luck.

Best Regards,
Rob

'12 ML350 BlueTec, 87k
'06 E320CDI, 270k
'05 T1N Sprinter 2500/Pleasure-Way Plateau TS, 69k
'97 C36AMG, 313k (son's)
'94 E320T, 249k
'93 190E Sportline LE, 168k (daughter's)
'84 190E-2.3/5spd (Stage Rally Racer)
'66 230 W110 Sedan (Barn Find, Vintage Racer build in progress)