View Single Post
Old 12-16-2019, 01:08 PM

240D start gremlins.

Hello Everyone,

Just joined after buying a 1981 240D last week. The car has 200K miles, manual trans and hand crank windows (perfect-O)! Seems to be a lifetime California car so no rust. Had moderate oil cap blow-by but seems to have improved somewhat after the 50 mile drive home. Also, the throw out bearing does some squalling and the steering can be a bit vague. Today I'm having starting issues and that's why I'm writing.

Here's the story. Attempt to start the car. Turn key and everything powers up. Headlights are bright. Buzzers working. Turn key to engage starter and get one click and then nothing. And I mean NOTHING! Everything is dead. No headlights, no dash lights, nothing. Battery is fine. 13.5 V. Fuses are fine. Wait 4 or 5 minutes and everything is back on line. Headlights, etc. Try to start again and one click and everything off!! I'm thinking that something is sticking and slowly releasing. Maybe the solenoid? Does the starting process disconnect everything electrical momentarily and restore power when the solenoid disconnects?