View Single Post
Old 12-22-2019, 10:40 AM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
All MB wheel bolts are 17mm. M14 wheel fit M12 cars just fine.

I have some 215/55R16 tires that would beg to differ. Did that size even exist when they were designing the 124?
If they have the same or close diameter to the original equipment and are not heavier you should ride and handle fine. It they are wider they will impact fuel economy but that might be slight enough to be unmeasureable.

I am pretty tough on unsprung weight. In my vw diesel wagon when I needed tires, I went from the original 17" rims to 16" and used tires with the same diameter. ... Actually went a bit narrower I think. With the new rims and new tires I saved 4#/ wheel. That is enough to feel. I saved enough on the tires to pay for the smaller wheels and gave the 17s to my Indies who gave me some credit on my account.

Lots of folks put on wider tires thinking they will make the car better, and mostly they probably will not notice any difference in handling and they will like the more butch look.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.