View Single Post
Old 12-29-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt20 View Post
1982 300TD

Later series Transmission - NSS not verified working ,but previously no issues, new bushings and accurate selector setting

good battery - tried 2 different and charged batteries

BOSCH reman starter - WAS very healthy.

Battery light on when key left in but not turned. no starter click, no glow plug relay click even after waiting a minute.

Issue is no glow plug light and no engagement on start attempt with the key. The bulb is good.

No blown fuses

When jumping the connections on the starter terminal (philllips head screws) nothing happens.

Accessories working

I disconnected the alternator, and the battery light goes off.

I am stumped on this one. My best guess is the ignition switch, but I thought that jumping the starter block would bypass that.

What should be the next test? Check voltage at the starter when turning the key?

Thank you all.
Happy New Year!
Sounds like you have one or more poor connections, as you should have been able to engage the starter by jumping the terminal connections.

Disconnect your battery.

There should be a large braided copper cable connecting the engine to the transmission bell housing.
Remove it and clean the cable lugs and the grounding points with electrical contact cleaner.
Expose bare metal at the grounding points.
Reattach the cable.

Detatch the negative cable from the chassis.
Clean the negative cable lug and the chassis grounding point with electrical contact cleaner.
Expose bare metal at the grounding point.
Reattach the cable to the chassis.

Verify the short stubby braided copper cable from the starter to the solenoid does not contact the starter case.
If this cable contacts the starter case...the starter won't work. BTDT.

Clean off your battery posts and terminals with a battery post and terminal cleaner brush to ensuse a good connection.
Reconnect your battery, and you should be able to engage the starter by jumping the terminal block connections (and via the ignition key).

On 'Desert Rose' I added an ancillary ground wire when I upgraded to an AL129X alternator.
That ancillary wire runs fom the negative cable chassis grounding point to the condensor mounting screw on the back of the alternator housing.