View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 08:33 AM

W123 Steering Pop & Suspension Noise

Gents,

I've posted on this before(123 complete new front end, still cluck/groan)

but cannot figure this out. When steering sometimes right or left my steering makes a pop sound. cannot tell where its coming from.

I have checked tightness on everything, tie rods, center link, drag link, idler arm bolt, and I have a newer good steering box in now too. What could/would cause this? its a pretty noticeable pop. (all of the steering components are new also btw). Anything I should have looked for when checking? I know tie rods move around naturally. Should center drag link be firm in place or also move? I jacked the car up and you can turn the wheel either way and no noise is present but also no load is on the system)

In addition I still have another occasional clunk/pop/shifting sensation in the suspension that seems separate from the steering issue. I've ordered a new transmission mount to eliminate that from the equation as it has failed(collapsed).

Usually the noise happens when coming to a stop going down hill. Lower guide rod mounts are new Mercedes so I really doubt its them but the noise seems to be in the lower area near them.

Sorry for the long post. I'm about to take it to a real mechanic but really cant afford a massive bill with a baby on the way.. .

Any help or pointers on where to look appreciated