View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 11:49 AM

Euro headlamp water intrusion issue

Water is intruding into the European headlights on my '88 190E 2.6. The glass lens appears to be bonded to a plastic frame that clips to the main housing (with a gasket I assume) and I suspect it is one or both of these joints. The driver's side is worst, and there is also some intrusion on the passenger side housing.

Water droplets appear on the inside of the lens, and when I removed the back access panel to check out the interior (no apparent leak at this junction), I found maybe 1/32" of water at the bottom on the driver's side housing that I sponged out, then set up a hair drier to blow hot air into the housings for about 5 minutes until they were thoroughly dry. The passenger side had no water at the bottom, but I used the hair drier on it, too, because there was some water on the inside of the lens.

These Euro headlights actually date to 1984 as I originally installed them on my '84 190E 2.3 and subsequently transferred them to the '88 2.6.

Any experience/advice with this issue will be appreciated. I'm hoping I can repair the leak without removing the housings from the car.

Duke