View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 03:58 AM
Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
I wish I had not gotten an Eddie Bauer edition but it has the 4.9L inline 6 and 5 speed mazda stick shift. just did a tune up on it and its chugging along just fine.

might need to drop the transmission and replace the clutch slave/throw out bearing. I miss the external mounted slave cylinders on my 240D
Word of advice when dropping the trans. Remove rear prop shaft and slide it back. You'll need to remove the bolts holding the trans cross member in, then wrestle/beat it into submission to remove. Knock the driver's side back and twist it up...it will come out. Putting it back in is much easier...a BFH with proper English and the right attitude will be of great assistance. Pay attention to the arrow stamped on it...make sure its pointed the same way when you put it back in.The clutch line should be plenty long enough to stay connected. While there, go ahead and replace the clutch and pressure plate, too. Parts are cheap, and since you're there, might as well save future labor. Not would also be a great time to check and replace the rear main seal...since you're there still, and its a $15 part.

The M5OD isn't a bad trans. I have it in the wife's truck, mated to the 5.0. It's a somewhat rare combo in an F250, but it's the way it came from the factory. My 250 has the 5.8 mated to the ZF trans...she's a beast. I used my dad's old F150 as a parts donor...4.9 and M5OD. He had over 400k on the clock before it finally was retired.

The 97 F150 is an automatic. Not my favorite, but I'll make sure its right.

Meet on the level, leave on the square. Great words to live by

Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread. - Thomas Jefferson: Autobiography, 1821.