View Single Post
Old 02-02-2020, 02:44 PM
Renaissances Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by christuna View Post
If he shut it off within like 10-15 seconds then he should have little to no damage and he should just fix the oil line and be back on the road. What's he got to lose? nothing.

if he ran like this for a minute or so then he probably damaged the rod bearings/crank.

It would take even longer than that to damage the rings/cylinders
How do you know it happened in 15 seconds? One of my clients has a BMW 540D, about 2016, I forget exactly, his computer will issue an audible alarm for such things as temp, going over 73mph, things like that. Not sure if it has some 'oil pressure dropping' signal.

I know I would love to have such a thing on my cars. The radiator on my 300SDL blew in Oct., if I hadn't noticed the little radiator looking icon/idiot light blink on, alerting me to the temp gauge, I might have fried the motor. I hadn't yet seen steam through the windshield. An audible alarm for such things would be fantastic.

One of my oil lines on my newly acquired 300D was leaking. Would leave by far the largest oil spot, among several, on the driveway. I read that at first sign of leakage - replace. You can't watch the oil pressure gauge all the time. I try to glance once minute or so but I'm sure I lapse into apathy and forget.

Our Kent-like buddy was saying on a vid that they weren't happy with the quality of aftermarket oil cooler lines they were seeing so they were able to get some high quality lines made in Germany by Monark. I was thinking, OK, I'll bite. Turns out the vid was made in 2014 IIRC and those items are out of stock if not NLA. I found some the aftermarket offerings that may be those he was disparaging. The upper line as a Cohline, I seem to recall the only lower line I found was from a different manufacturer. I searched for reviews, nothing bad came up.

That was a tough job. I got dude's PDF instructions, and it helped though I discovered a few hints I would have added.

Anybody know about Cohline quality?