Thread: Test Drives
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2003, 10:07 PM
Just a guy

When I test drove the C230, I didn't drive the actual car, but a "demo" model they kept so that they didn't accumulate mileage on new cars. The salesperson didn't come with us on the test drive, which was nice.

At the BMW shop, I was on the phone with the salesperson, and he brought a demo unit down to my office for me to see and drive. Since I didn't want to leave him sitting there, I invited him along. Also, I didn't have my wife with me, so I didn't require some privacy to talk anyway.

When I was at the MB Canada shop on Dundas in Toronto, the salesperson just tossed me the keys to an S600 and left me alone. When returning, I gave the keys back and he didn't say two words.

Normally, salepeople come with you to attempt to deal with any objections you have, control the roads you drive on, and ensure you don't abuse the car. They might give you some excuse about insurance requirements, but having had a business with dealer plates, I know that is often not the case.

Today, I won't buy a car that I can't drive for an extended period of time. I want to drive it over familiar roads. One thing that I hate is that they keep 5 litres of gas in the demo units to make sure the salesperson can give you some bunk about "getting back quick not to run out of gas." Put gas in it or I'm gone.

Then they'll give you some BS about being able to put only so many kilometers per test drive on it. See ya.

This thread reminds me of how much I dislike buying a car regardless of price. We've been treated poorly no matter the MSRP...

http://img31.exs.cx/img31/4050/tophat6.gif