View Single Post
Old 06-23-2020, 10:05 PM
Master hull craftsman

I towed the 450slc drift car on the dolly,, most of my tools, 5 spare pairs of wheels and tires and myself 2.5 hours into the Poconos Saturday. Figure about 4000+ lbs. Bone stock 87 300sdl (beside custom hitch) with 252,000 plus a ****load probably since the odometer is beat. It does great on flat ground and minor hills but it starts getting hot on long medium grades. It was pretty warm out but not too bad. I ran the heat on defrost most of the way. Twice it got up to the last line before a small gap then red mark. I guess about 250f or so. Doesn't seem to have pushed any coolant out or any long term issue I hope. It came right back down as soon as it crested the hill. I'm going to do a coolant flush and cleanse since there is some oil in the coolant from when I bought it, supposedly poured in by accident, idk, it's pretty black. That can't hurt. Make sure it doesn't have a bunch of crap in the condenser blocking air flow, I don't think it's got anything to do with the fan cause we're talking at least 50mph. My friend said that opening up the exhaust is really helpful with cooling on the Cummins 12v in his truck so I'll be looking into that as well. Also adding the propane injection and pyrometer possibly water injection as well. Propane will decrease egts but I'm not sure it's that or just strain induced heat. I've found an all aluminum radiator for the sdl also. Its claimed to be an exact copy of a factory option radiator. Anyone ever heard of/used one? There are a few places selling them. Other than the heat and maybe a little shy on power it tows great. 75mph on flat ground super stable.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk