View Single Post
Old 08-26-2020, 01:53 PM
240D.Bill

IP timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpoltrock View Post
Thanks for all of the advice. You might be able to see that the glow plug behind the atmospheric compensator is snapped off at the head. I want to try and remove it with a long EZ OUT and an impact on low air setting (that is how I successfully removed 3 of the other broke plugs). If a manual attempt is made a short EZ OUT has to be used due to the limited clearance, and that is ripping the metal on the threaded portion of the plug to shreds. I will tighten the atmospheric compensator down and leave that lie. I took the intake off to replace the leaking fuel lines and injection pump and thought, "while I'm here I might as well replace the glow plugs". Sheesh, what a pain in the ass this has become and I haven't even started on the fuel lines or the IP! Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions and help.
Rotating or removing that pump altogether may save you a lot of trouble. That is if you are comfortable with re-timing the pump. Marking the pump’s current setting doesn’t help if the pump is already slightly off the mark.
If you don’t know how already, I highly recommend learning how to set the timing on your pump if you don’t already. It’s super easy and if it hasn’t been done in awhile or is out of sync you’ll notice a huge difference in power, fuel mpg, lower smoke, and it’s a recommended tune up item.