View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 08:45 PM
Strich Acht

Mercedes W115 240D engine stop gorilla knob

Hi folks,

I've been having some issues with the engine shut off gorilla knob in my 1974 240D W115.

When I first got the car I had a lot of problems with grey smoke and a high idle in park/neutral.

At that point, when I pushed in the gorilla knob I could shut off the engine - but only when the engine was cold.

However, when the car got up to full operating temperature, the idle in park/neutral would sit at about 3500rpm (and it would create an unburnt diesel cloud out of the exhaust), so when I pushed in the gorilla knob, the idle would go down a bit, but not enough to stop the engine.

As well as this, the idle control screw on the dash did not do anything to change the idle when turned.

--

Last week, I replaced the governor diaphragm in the injection pump. This has completely solved my grey smoke/high idle issue. As well as this, the idle control screw on the dash operates normally. It's great.

However! Now, the gorilla knob will not turn the engine off at all, even if the engine is cold.

Here's a video of the injection pump end of the gorilla knob wire in operation:
https://youtu.be/Jjhl7_Qx51Q
(note, the washer/cotter pin on the fixture is definitely not the original one - whether or not that would make any real difference I doubt)

Now, the only way I can shut the engine off is via the emergency shut off lever on the throttle body. Before this, I used to turn the engine off by stalling it (turn off the ignition, press in gorilla knob, hold on the brake while in gear). After the new governor diaphragm, this method no longer works. Additionally, I have to put a heck of a lot of pressure on the emergency shut off to kill the engine. It's like it doesn't want to shut off at all.

It's a strange problem. The car runs and drives beautifully smooth now. But now I'm that super cool guy who nonchalantly pops the hood and turns his car off from the engine bay every time he parks (and this car is my only car)

This is fine for now but it will soon get old - especially when the weather turns...!

Any thoughts?

Thanks!