View Single Post
Old 06-02-2003, 06:29 AM
zhandax

How to grease 300E wiper gearbox

I may as well share one of my less than stellar maintainence adventures in hopes it might give comfort to someone in similar circumstance.

I started to rehab my 300E blower motor. Since I had seen all the posts on what a simple proceedure it is to grease the wiper gearbox, I thought this would be a good time to do it.

In retrospect, there are two sets of posts on this subject. One is from people who found the task a 5-minute cakewalk. These people drive newer cars.

Those of us driving late 80's W124s can leave the dental hardware in the bathroom. There are no secret catches.

The steel wiper housing cover plate on my 1988 300E is held in place by 5 screws, two of which can only be accessed from inside the gearbox.

I will spare you most of the details of how I learned this, but here is how to get it apart.
Since I have not yet learned how to post multiple pics, this will cover 4 posts.

The stainless arm you pulled the wiper off moves up and down 4 times between starting and returning to the park position. It is retracted in the park position, again at the centerpoint, and again at the far passenger side.

For removal, the arm needs to be in the center position which is retracted.
Refer to pic 1. If you have extracted the wiper assembly, you will recognize this view.
Remove the shaft nut and washer. The pic shows it already removed.

Scribe a mark on the shaft and arm linkage to assist in alignment on reassembly.

Then remove the arm linkage from the shaft. This might be accomplished by prying with a screwdriver. By the time I got to this point, my sense of humor was wearing thin. I took mine off with a gear puller and a cordless impact wrench. Didn't put up much of a fight.
Attached Thumbnails
How to grease 300E wiper gearbox-0arm-linkage1.jpg