View Single Post
Old 11-17-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpoltrock View Post
Sorry I haven't posted my updates lately. I live in Kenosha, Wisconsin and after the rioting here in late August I have not worked much on the Mercedes glow plug debacle. Yesterday I was back at it, all enthusiastic and energized to get this part of the job done. I had a cobalt EZ Out with a large nut tig welded on the head on hand. EZ went in and electric impact with a universal(to get around that round altitude compensator) commenced. Gradually increased the torque...did not budge. Out comes the air impact, starting on its lowest setting working up. No go after 10-15 minutes of that. Out comes a large socket and a manual attempt. It did not take long before "SNAP" went the EZ Out, flush with the head. F**K!! I finished my cigar and went inside for supper.

Again I have to ask this group, can that atmospheric compensator be removed? if that damn thing was not in the way I know the plug would be out by now.

I am NOT going to remove the head. Just ain't gonna do it.

What are everybody's thought on running with 5 glow plugs?

If you have any other suggestions, please share. I am starting to have really negative feelings about the car, which I once love. Thanks.
I know the altitude compensator can be removed from my year and model. It can likely be removed from yours. I have not paid attention to the thread of that sort of stuff.
So hopefully someone will post who has done it.

Broken Bolt Extractors like the ones in the picture can sometimes expand what you are trying to get out.
My opinion using an impact wrench was not a good idea.

That being said can you get the broken Blot extractor out? The are often so hard you cannot drill them out easily.

There is a kit and some members on this forum have used a kit but I don't know if it is the same kit.
https://www.benzworld.org/threads/looking-for-broken-glow-plug-removal-kit.3061774/#post-18097254

There are places you can take your car and they have a machine that has a cooled electrode and they burn out what is broken and chase the threads. They can burn through a broken Bolt Extractor.
Attached Thumbnails
HELP! WTF is this? '95 E300D glow plug removal-broken-bolt-extractor-spiral-flute.jpg