View Single Post
Old 12-25-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracurrie View Post
These four door sedans will never really appreciate much. These cars are so solid and dependable it would be an excellent regular driver. I would invest in a "replace every piece of rubber" restoration.
The smog pump is not needed so I recommend getting rid of it if you can.
Also, upgrade the ignition so you don't have to replace points every 10k. If its got the TIM ignition be ready to replace the module or change over to Petronix or the like.
And as always, please feel free to ignore everything I am suggesting and enjoy.
I agree, I don't believe Fintails will ever be worth the prices I see 108's or Pontons going for, but that's not why I bought it. Over the last 3 years I have done exactly what you recommended lol, almost every piece of rubber is new and it has a Petronix ignition upgrade (coil and all). I drive it everyday, rain or shine. I wont drive it when there is salt on the roads though. We've even taken it on a short vacation, about 700 miles round trip, never missed a beat. Unfortunately I had to keep the smog pump in order to have a belt on my power steering pump, the smog pump acts like an idler pulley because I've gutted the inside.
"It's what non-car people don't get. They see all cars as just ton-and-a-half, two tons of wires, glass, metal and rubber. That's all they see. People like you or I know, we have an unshakable belief that cars are living entities..... You can develop a relationship with a car, and that’s just what non-car people don't get."
-Jeremy Clarkson