View Single Post
Old 12-28-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoublenastywitit View Post
Finally got back in the Benz game got a fixer upper wagon with a "125k" 300sd and tranny engine swap.

Runs good enough. First question is there anyway to retro fit the sls system on the non equiped engine? Or do I need to do the new struts? If so which ones do I need and does anyone have opinion on it (I have heard bad things)

Second issue off the bat is that I can't figure out if it's getting into top gear on the freeway. I've had 3 non turbo w123 in the past and know they rev up really high on the freeway. Just can't seem to remember what the "normal" sound is like. I will count the shifts, just confirming it starts in second gear when it drive? and has 4 total gears?

Last thing is the speedo and odo don't work I remember the cable for a 300sd being different from a 300d and am assuming this is the issue? Anyway to fix this?

Im sure I'll have more questions as I go but this is a good start.
The SLS pump is mounted onto the cylinder head and I believe the head itself is different for sls cars vs the non-sls with mounting for the pump for the sls cars.

You should have around 3k rpm at 70 mph

The 300SD doesn't use a speedo cable. It has a magnetic pickup in the output shaft for the electronic speedo.

So if the tranny is from a SD then you may have a problem. At a minimum you're looking at swapping the tailshaft housing/speedo drive. Unless you swap speedos and do some electrical wiring. Although I'm not sure how that will look/work