View Single Post
Old 01-28-2021, 03:06 AM
Master hull craftsman

Many big changes being implemented. I've got a 210 mm 3.69 ratio rear out of a w140 chassis car. I have to build a custom subframe using parts from a Gen 2 w126 grafted onto a c107 subframe. Even though they use the same splines on the axles, the 185mm diff uses less of the spline and leaves an exposed area to twist and ultimately break. The 210mm axle stubs also do not neck down as much at the spline ends either.
So with the w140 chassis diff case, there are no 4 studs to mount it in the subframe like the c107,w114,116,123,126 gen 1 cars. It mounts similar to the gen 2 case but uses differt front mounts and rear cover. I'm going to build a jig with the gen 1 diff bolted in to the c107 subframe with a Gen 2 w126 diff cover/mount and weld a cut off section of a Gen 2 w126 subframe (yellow triangle)onto the c107 subframe using the diff cover as a place holder. Then make a temporary jig from the subframe to the holes on the drive flange to hold the front of the diff in place while i build a new mount for the front of the diff to the subframe. A slightly complicated way to be sure that stock axles and drive shaft will fit.
Up front I made custom delrin bushings and I'm in the process of building a jig on my new table 2 extend the control arms using a spare front subframe to make sure everything stays in line properly. I'll be able to get a few more degrees steering angle which really need and more importantly a little more clearance to keep from touching the inner fender wells and subframe at full lock.
This along with a little more power from a euro 4.5 should make this year's drift season really awesome. I can't wait. Lots to do!

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk