View Single Post
Old 02-17-2021, 08:58 PM

Mercedes 250S Cam Towers Swap Head to Head

So I am working with a 1968 Mercedes 250S that I bought with a Blown Head Gasket it seems that the best way forward is to Change out the Head.The Head is Warped on top and Bottom as well as cracked bottom side quite badly
It is cost prohibitive as to repair the head is more then a New one on Ebay
As well A head like that may not stand up long term .The Engine Block is fine.

So the issues : I have found a Good used Head with the same part number But with no Cam and " Cam Towers "Are they the Cam Towers "Swappable ? " Head to Head ?
( My Cam looks perfect in all respects )
Can ? I just use my Old Cam Towers from the original Head I removed (they show no damage ?) *Or are all Cam Towers Line bored to each Head they came with ?. I was thinking to simply place my Cam Towers on the replacement head and Tighten them up with Rocker Arms removed
*to make sure the Cam rotates smoothly with no binding
Tentative Plan was to try the Cam on the head with the 4 smaller Nuts holding the Cam Towers down but still off the car and rotate the Cam as I tighten them up checking for binding.
Shimming Cam Towers :
If I resurface the Head must I shim the Cam Towers to insure the Timing Chain well be tight ? Just how much does the Chain Tightener take up possibly not requiring such Shimming ? Example I remove say 15 Thousands from the Head surface.
If the Cam Towere are not Swappable Can I simply have them Line Bored on the head *