View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 11:22 AM
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota4x4 View Post
Thanx for the reply. I believe it is a mercedes thermostat and i tested it prior to use. Ill have to check on orientation. Would it be possible to to make it 1200 miles with an air pocket before it became a problem? It seems telling of something, but im not sure what, that it has only overheated if i hit a hill on a cold engine, almost like something is keeping the good thermostat from opening, but i dunno. I guess its possible that i somehow cracked the new head, or blew the new gasket slightly, but compression is good and i didnt detect any combustion gas in the coolant with the color change fluid. Still stumped but all the input helps
Just how cold are we talking here? What coolant did you use?

I had a buddy with a Ford van that wasn't running enough antifreeze when it started getting cold. The radiator would freeze and block up, while the engine still had liquid coolant in it. Get driving and it'd overheat as the iced radiator passages didn't allow any cooling. Shut it off, let it sit a bit, everything melted and it cooled fine. We added more antifreeze and all was well.