View Single Post
Old 06-05-2021, 08:45 PM
Control Freak

My son's 2008 E320 has the built in handsfree cell phone (the stick at the back of the cup holders) and the Aux jack in the glove box.

The handsfree interface is only for calls (Headset protocol), it will not handle streaming (A2DP protocol).

My work around was to find a Bluetooth audio to line level dongle. I found it on eBay and spliced the audio into the Aux connection on the back of the radio (it's on an independent 3 pin connector). I got power for it from the cigarette lighter socket.

If you do this yourself I recommend adding a switch to turn the thing off when you don't want it to stream (i.e. you are listening to the radio instead). Otherwise your phone will still connect and stream even though you are not listening to it.

If you have one of the older 211s that did not have the factory cell interface then you're pretty much out of luck trying to even get hands free cell phone to work.

If you have the 'iPod interface kit' that uses the Aux path to the radio (my other son's 2008 ML320 has this). This is why the stereo has to be on 'Aux' mode for it to work. It is very much an after thought. The control box has a connection to the body CAN bus so that it can talk to the instrument cluster and steering wheel controls.
2013 E350 Bluetec (my DD)

both my kids cars went to junkyard in 2023
2008 ML320 CDI (Older son’s DD) fatal transmission failure, water soaked/fried rear SAM, numerous other issues, just too far gone to save (165k miles)
2008 E320 Bluetec (Younger son's DD) injector failed open and diluted oil with diesel, spun main bearings (240k miles)

1998 E300DT sold to TimFreeh
1987 300TD sold to vstech