View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 10:17 PM
Diesel Dandy

Post Rusting Away

Yes, it's a seriously sad thing that no one wants rust free bodies with current tags & titles for classic cars ~ not even for FREE .

I was born & raised Down East back when the average 4 year old car / truck was unsafe to drive due to salt induced rust .

When I moved to California in 1970 I was shocked and amazed to see so many 1930's, 1940's and 1950's cars junked because they needed new tires and brakes...

Yesterday I replaced the dented left front fender on my '82 240D, Rich sold me a decent one with close to matching paint .

When I had it off I was shocked to discover Mercedes designed in sediment traps and they were full of leaves, road munge and grit and oil mist too .

With the fender off it was a simple thing to clean it all out/off, I was amazed to discover NO RUST .

If anyone needs it, I now have a nice rust free (shiny white paint) left front W123 fender that's dented ~ if no one claims it quickly I'll leave it out for the neighborhood scrap metal guy next week .

I'm still pissed off about the many RUST FREE vehicles I purchased at $crap price to salvage mechanical and trim / interior bits out of then ad to give to the crushers because others who usually had complete but rusted to junk cars they were "going to fix up some day" ~ I always transfer titles and bring license tags up to date and into my name so it's wasteful for no one to take the hulks .

I did then what I knew how to do ~ now that I know better I do better