View Single Post
Old 06-12-2003, 06:59 AM

Hey Chriss, Interesting concept.

You know, here in the U.S., the Government does not tax or regulate CO2 output. That's one of the burrs under the saddle of several folks over on the Volkswagen TDI forum: A Ford Excursion can meet the NOX, CO, and HC output requirements and still get 8 mpg. Yup, that's right, people who drive these around are getting 8 mpg.

Furthermore, although we complain about fuel tax here, it is really very benign by European standards. When the price of crude goes up, we see it immediately.

The only time there has been a realistic discussion about regulating or taxing CO2 is when the California Air Resource Board (CARB) tried to do that as part of their new California emission regulations. But, I'm not sure that controlling JUST AUTOMOBILES in JUST CALIFORNIA is going to really do anything. The three currently regulated polutants mentioned above have a direct affect on local air quality whereas CO2 only (probably) affects global climate over the long term.

BTW: I live in Oklahoma where we don't even inspect cars anymore. My thoughts are that the CARB emission limitations that are contrary to the EPA limits represent an illegal State regulation on interstate trade and are therefore unconstitutional. Everyone responsible should be charged with a crime and sent to prison.

Nevertheless, there are good reasons other than CO2 balance to limit our use of imported petro oil. Although it's cheap and apparently in adequate supply in the Middle East, why would anyone remotely concerned about National Security think it is a good thing to put the U.S. Economy directly in the hands of oil exporting nations--who by and large DO NOT LIKE US. We really do need a domestic transportation energy policy and haven't got one in the last 3 Presidential administrations.

Furthermore, although I don't agree often with the misguided enviro-radicals on the TDI forum (they can't seem to listen to any reasoned argument that goes against anything the believe), one point they make does make some sense: How is it possible to drill thousands of feet deep in the ground, pump oil out, store it, ship it half way around the world, refine it (have you ever seen an oil refinery: complex is an understatement), then ship the Diesel/gas through a pipeline/truck to the end customer and it ISN'T possible to grow and refine a biologically sourced fuel. My favorite is BoiDiesel, but ethanol/methanol is also a quality fuel. Doesn't make much sense.

Bio Fuels NOW!!!! (Where's that tye dye t-shirt)

Sholin (who hasn't had enough coffee this morning yet) in Mustang, OK.