View Single Post
Old 07-16-2021, 12:56 PM
I miss my MBZ

I married into a tent-camping family, so we have a trailer...full of tents and shelters. It works, but we are the 1% at any campground. Now that the Wife's parents are older, I try to sell the wife on a camper so her parents can join us (hey - you only get parents for so long...). But I have issues with every single camper I see:
1) Initial prices are stratospheric, and no warranty to speak of
2) anything more than pop-up really requires a body-on frame towing vehicle. We have 4 kids so its now a Subarban or Expedition
3) I'll daily a Suburban before I will change the oil on an engine that only runs when we camp with it
4) I cant get into the 'gig economy' RV share stuff. Maybe someday, still feels weird to me
5) Camper construction has never impressed me. Its like they find the thinnest, cheapest materials to make thigns out of, and then cut them short.
6) My 20 year old car roof has never leaked water, why does every camper leak water at some point in its life ? (rhetorical question)
7) I dont even live in an HOA and now the neighbors are calling the township to try to ticket people who have trailers/campers in their driveway. Rumor is that the township has no enforcement power, but I dont want to deal with this. nor do I want to move just so I can keep a camper.

Back to topic - I dont know if Id want a Sprinter or the Ford version - both have equally non-americal engines. the Sprinter will probably be better off at McParts, but MB quality sometimes leaves enough to be desired, that the Ford diesel could 50/50 be a better choice.
(insert Mercedes here)

Husband, Father, sometimes friend =)