View Single Post
Old 07-28-2021, 11:28 AM
Not suffering fools today

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
No, uhh, sorry I did not say that. I have never detected a difference in the way the name Fossett is pronounced compared to the pronunciation of “Fossett” as in kitchen faucet.

The preceding sentence was all voice to text. My guess is that it was spelled the way I wanted it spelled the last time because it was preceded by “kitchen,” serving as a sort of adjective.

It’s a small point, not surprising that you cannot concede it.
I freely concede the relative occurrence of these four words, never went against it. This is the first I heard you seek such a concession. I also recognize the difference in pronunciation among them. No clue why you fail to. I await your next spin to claim this is now some third argument
Quote:
My argument is hard to beat here. And that argument is that the word Fossett as in bathroom faucet (all voice to text) is going to be used 10 to 20 times as often, a very conservative estimate, as the proper name Fossett. Again, did not have to type out the latter. How many people have you known named Fossett? You might think that the best and brightest at Apple would understand probabilities A little better. Same thing for a proxy. OK, right there it went with a stranger first choice before settling on that. The word I spoke, “epoxy” is almost certainly used in the world a lot more than the two word phrase “a proxy.“ And used, a rough guess, 500 times more often in business or casual conversation as the name of the Florida ghost town “Apoxsee.”

Apoxsee, epoxy, epoxy, Apoxsee.

I could’ve said “testing, testing” before that sentence, or should have maybe. At any rate, it’s getting better on this word. But if you take the first syllable from a long “e” sound slightly in the direction of a short “a” sound, The rocket scientists at Apple who put that part together once again will helpfully conclude that of course, you were referring to the ghost town in Florida which was perhaps featured in motion pictures in a parallel universe or two.

All that said, voice to text is often pretty amazing. Which makes silly annoyances like those I obsessed over right here stand out in sharp relief.