View Single Post
Old 11-11-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkarten View Post
398K miles, having issue with ignition switch I think, first time last week starter did not engage when key turned, found junction box in front of battery & starter engaged when "jumped", cleaned all terminals & car started normally 1/2 dozen times then needed to be "jumped" again, NSS seems to not be involved as starter not engaging after placing in neutral, switch doesn't feel bad but HVAC engagement has always needed slight backwards turn to engage, should I replace switch?
Not getting the part highlighted in red. The Neutral Safety Switch and or the shifter bushings can cause the no cranking issue.

When the NSS is going bad sometimes putting it in neutral will allow it to start sometimes not.

This thread shows away to bypass the NSS. If your starter always cranks after that bypass you it is reasonable the NSS and or the shifter bushings are the cause.

The Steering Column Lock is in between the Key Tumbler and the Ignition Switch. I had parts inside of my Steering Column Lock break (people have said that the Steering Column Lock is no longer available; hope that changes).

While it was working I found that on the Ignition Switch I had a contact on one side entirely burned off but the arm itself was still making contact so it was still working.

In my case the new Steering Column Lock came with a new Ignition Switch and a new Vacuum Shutoff Valve.

The backup up lights also go through the Neutral Safety Switch.

To remove the NSS electrical connector you need to move back a plastic tab (if memory serves) and the white plastic part can be rotated.
Attached Thumbnails
1984 300TD starting issue-neutral-safety-switch-transmission.jpg