View Single Post
Old 02-04-2022, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by argon3030 View Post
I can confirm as I too own an MS906. The MS906 includes the 38 pin Mercedes adapter so no need to buy anything additional. The MS906 is around $1300 though so more on the spendy side, more of an enthusiast tool than something every w210 owner should have.

I also have one of Autel's smaller consumer units, I can't remember the model number but it was inexpensive at around $200. It works with the w210 but requires you to purchase separately their "intelligent 38 pin adapter" which is $150 more. Note you must use the more expensive "intelligent" adapter that has a black box hanging off it. Their lower-end diagnostic tools won't work on w210 with a passive adapter.

It's only generic emissions related codes via OBD2 on the w210. No transmission, no ABS, no airbags, nothing else. Emissions-related engine faults only. And generic codes only; nothing that is Mercedes-specific or Diesel-specific. Ergo, the OBD2-only diagnostic tools are pretty much useless on these cars.

Yes I can not justify spending $1300 on the diagnostic tool when the whole reason I purchased this car was to swap the engine in one of my W123s. That will probably be in a few years though and I was using this as my daily driver until this issue.

Has anyone messed around with getting an older laptop that runs windows 10 and purchasing the diagnostic software for it? I see you can purchase some bootleg versions of mercedes diagnostic software fairly reasonable on ebay. This would be the cheapest route I have found if it even works as I would just need the software and an adapter cord. Has anyone tried this on an older W210? I feel like it would work fine on newer models but I'm not so confident it would work for my 1999, again I don't really know much about this so please excuse my ignorance.

Also tried to get my codes read today, shop owner told me they would have time but I called before bringing it in today and the owner wasnt there and nobody else knew anything about it so they said they couldnt fit me in

I guess that's all the more reason to either purchase the software or one of Autel's smaller consumer units

Working on this car really makes me appreciate my older pre computer mercedes diesels haha