View Single Post
Old 03-31-2022, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shern View Post
Why don’t you rekey the door locks yourself?
It’s a very simple process well discussed in forum archives.
Thanks for the encouraging words. I've seen some of the archives regarding this subject. I'd like to give it a try.....at some point. Problem is, I've got a pretty long list of items requiring attention.
Not the least of which: My driver's side front coil spring broke, unbeknownst to me, at the bottom coil that sits in the "cup", or spring base, that's mounted to the lower control arm. I don't know how long its was like that, but, it "departed the vehicle"!! Must've been my lucky day or week or year or something because the car was parked in the garage when this frightening event occurred.
Late one friday night, while in my kitchen (the garage is on the other side of the kitchen wall) I heard a tremendous BANG!, followed by a loud CRASH!! coming from the garage. When I went to investigate, the front left of the car was resting on top of the tire. Apparently, the spring shot out the front, hit the wall, shot back towards the rear of the car and came to rest by the left rear tire.
I've replayed many scenarios in my mind that could've resulted in catastrophe from this broken spring. Had it happened on the highway, at speed, well, I don't wanna think about it. Even just being under the car, working on "something" and that spring shot out.......
Long story longer....gonna order a couple springs, looking for the spring compressor tool (buy, rent or borrow) and a couple coil spring bases. Have a couple "leads", but nothing has materialized, yet.
Needless to say, the locks are gonna hafta wait....