View Single Post
Old 04-17-2022, 04:17 PM

You can't boast about a car that needs constant repair

I keep my car in nice shape and sure, as they get older they need more attention.

My mechanic told me to get a Lexus. He said he's told people that before and it was the last time he ever heard from them because they don't need any repairs. Now THAT'S the mark of a great car.

That all said, most of the Lexus's not needing repair are only 15 years old and newer, so we'll see how they fare when they get to be 30 and 40 years old. My car is a 1991 300d. I was in a friend's 1991 Lexus 400 one time and I was curious to see how the car was, being that it was the same year and heft (not the intro level, but a nicer Lexus). The car was crap! (or said another way, he never fixed anything). The car didn't ride well, his entire instrument cluster wasn't working (it's all electronic) so he couldn't see oil pressure or warning lights if they came on and he had no speedometer. No joke, we ended up getting pulled over by the police for speeding, he was doing 45 or 50 in a 35 zone but didn't know it.

You guys do what you want. If you enjoy fiddling with cars, have at it. For me, I want a car that works and gets me to where I need to go. I do routine maintenance to keep the car happy (today I'll be changing the big fuel filter) and I add fuel additive to keep the injectors lubed up so there ARE no problems. When something does start to break, I have it fixed right away unlike other people who think the problem will just magically get better and go away. I would rather fix things while they're a small (and less expensive) problem than letting it grow into a big problem.

Bottom line, if your car needs stuff fixed, then get them ALL fixed once and for all, and then ....you're done! All you have to do after that is drive it. A year later when a new problem comes up, get it fixed right away and....you're done!