View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 02:31 PM

Thanks guys, it was a full day with the car yesterday.

Car starts easily and no white smoke out the back.

Power seems pretty good around town but up on the highway yesterday it was not easy to get it to 100mph. This is in contrast to last week before the overheating episode when I was able to get it to 115 without to much of a strain. Granted these are speeds that are not usually traveled at on American roads.

Car continues to have thermostat fluctuations. Often about 5 minutes after starting the coolant temp guest 120C then settles down to jump between 85 and -110C.

I loose about 50ml of coolant every time I stop the car - no obvious source.

I continue to note that at times of excessive coolant temp there is not heat coming out the vents (with heat set to max) but when the coolant normalizes I get blasting hot air.

As noted previously, adjust the idle screw does not impact idle speed much. However idle speed in now a more manacle 900 and there is no more run away idle happening.

/////////

Currrent thoughts and plan:

I'm ascribing coolant leak/coolant temp fluctuations/heater inconsistancy to failing axially water pump. I've bought a new thermostat as well though with a 500 mile engine this seems unlikely and will hold off on the new thermostat.

Rpm/idle screw/possible power loss remain a mystery.

Will keep everyone up to date.

//////

On another note I'm putting in second row headrests, probably will start a new thread on this topic. Pulled the read seats yesterday, what a battle, the Phipps head screws were in incredibly tight, some sort of blue compound from the factory. Had to drill them out.

Good times, and Happy 4th of July weekend everyone!