View Single Post
Old 08-27-2022, 11:12 AM

Ken to me had a very good segment or tutorial on doing brakes in general. He used a 300d as the working example. Lots of good suggestions I thought. Catching the details of a brake job are productive in general.

One he may not have mentioned comes to mind though. Behind the stainless sliders for the brake pads. After cleaning off any rust behind the stainless steel sliders.

Put a small amount of brake grease in the area before putting the stainless steel sliders in. Or replacing them. Rust by nature or iron oxide do expand when the metal is changing state with rusting. For the same reason it is important to get that area of the caliper derusted.

I do live in the rustbelt though. It really does reduce the chances of sticking pads with time.

I also have mentioned before. Cut a small length of fuel hose to fit snugly over the bleeder screws. Put some grease on the bleeder. Slide the small segment of hose over the bleeder. Put a dap of grease on the top.

Next time you need to open the bleeders it should go easy. Detail item again that really costs nothing to do. In rustbelt areas you are going to need heat or land up breaking some bleeders otherwise usually. Many bleeder screws are also so small with a hole drilled down through then as well. Any rust can and does reduce their strength further. Thee was not much material in them when new to start with.

I did not pick this approach up anywhere, It was just common sense to develop after some time. Good approach for especially any vehicle you intend to have around a long time. you have to live in a rustbelt to really know What dealing with old bleeder screws can be like.

Fuel hose comes in many sizes. Use one that is a snug fit.

Last edited by barry12345; 08-27-2022 at 11:41 AM.