View Single Post
Old 06-27-2003, 12:13 PM

I bought one of these about 6 weeks ago and my initial impressions are quite positive. It's a much more comfortable (seat fits me better) and quiet (better insulation and engine encapsulation) and fuel efficient (29mpg city, 34mpg hwy) upgrade from my 84 300SD (although I do kinda miss it).

I paid $7k for a two-owner (brothers) '92 with 146k. It's pearl black with creme beige MB-Tex. All records from dealer, extremely clean. I think the only options this car has are the headlamp washers.

Of course, I am slowly getting used to the W124 chassis and the OM602 engine. I definitely prefer working on my old OM617 motor as I always felt confident when working on one. I suppose after 3 years I will feel the same about this motor. It's a bit more cramped under the hood, but not too unmanageable. I'm glad I _don't_ have an 87 300D, as that OM603 (6-cylinder) would leave even less room to work.

So far, I've done the following:

1. Cooling system: replace radiator hoses and clamps, thermostat, overflow tank cap, replace coolant. All very straightforward and accessible - no big deal.

2. Change oil and filter. Replace o-rings on oil filter housing "stem". Not much change from the SD.

3. Service transmission. Once again, very similar to the SD, except I now have belly pans to take on/off. They do keep the transmission exterior quite clean!

Soon:

1. I've ordered new rear rotors and pads, and will do that when they are delivered.

2. It gets a new timing chain next Thursday (7/3/03) and a brake fluid change. I want the serpentine belt and tensioner examined as well.

My car does run a bit hotter than I'd like in 85F weather with the AC on - it tends to hang around 95C, while in more moderate weather with no AC on it stays at a pretty steady 80C. I'm wondering if my fan clutch is on it's way out or if the electric fans aren't coming on. The replacement thermostat and cap have helped somewhat...

Also, I'm checking around for a replacement vacuum pump, as preventative maintenance. Should be easy to replace.

That's it until my next maintenance service at 150k in about 6 weeks, at the rate I'm putting on the miles.

Oh, and the Becker radio is giving me fits. I've got an intermittent channel. I've already replaced the front speakers with some nice MB Quarts that I had laying around. I'm toying with the idea of dropping a Becker 4602 in there.

Other than that it's a great car. I think I could live with this one for quite a while (the only other cars I would consider would be a 98-99 E300D or maybe a R129 300SL with a 5-speed). I don't have the $ for the W210 and the SL is impractical with the family.