View Single Post
Old 07-03-2023, 01:08 PM

Well it's been a while since I've addressed my wagon, but a brief update -

When firing it up to get things hot, for a transmission oil change, the transmission started just dumping oil out of the bell housing region, which makes me assume it's a front main seal at the minimum. The fact that I drove the transmission into a state of failure, I was a bit worried of trying to fix a leak, with the possibility that I had done serious damage to the internals.

Recently, I was able to source a matching transmission out of an 87 diesel with 150k miles for $150. I was told that when it was pulled, everything worked just fine, and there were no serious leaks. The previous owner happened to acquire a newly rebuilt transmission for near free, so he put that into his Benz.

Over the last couple days I've cleaned up my new transmission, and purchased some external seals such as -
Auto kick down solenoid Oring
Kickdown solenoid Aluminum washer
Kickdown Cable Oring
2 x Crush washers for oil lines
Transmission Modulator Valve Seal
Dipstick O-ring

My plan is to replace all of these on my new transmission before doing the swap, to give it some longevity. Are there any extra parts I should consider before tackling this job?

It will be my first time removing/swapping a transmission, so any good tips are appreciated.

Last edited by Eric4; 07-03-2023 at 01:09 PM. Reason: resized images