View Single Post
Old 07-14-2003, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by narwhal
Rick--one of the things I really like about my car is that nasty growl when I stand on it. I don't know if I would trade the extra .8 or so sec. to ride in a V-6 with no soul (trying to make myself feel better about not presently being able to part with $60K or so for cdi).
The V6 doesn't have it. But the V6 feels dead compared to my E420 or 560.

The inline 6 gasser in the 94- 95 E320 M104 was one helluva engine. That thing had a roar that echoed off all the buildings back into my ear. Very fun car to drive, and suprisingly peppy for a six.

Why is it that people always say "Oh, it's an old diesel, it must be a slug..." when it comes to speed? My 300SDL could blow a lot of cars out of the water. I don't know why, but it seems just as quick as my E420 (the V8 has a much better sound though. Like my M117). I go by the seat of my pants feel. The absolute thrust you get from these cars is astounding.

In my mother's E320 wagon, I once got beaten by an '87 300D(I was in SHOCK). My foot was past kickdown, and he was pulling away from me at around 80mph like I was stopped.
That's when I decided to find one of these cars for myself.

I have driven other SDL's, though, and a lot of them seem pretty slow. Most of them were affected by hills, and the turbos never spooled up until about 2-3 seconds after you applied the gas on the highway. They were all too slow for me. I was used to gassers.

Until I found mine.

Something had to have been done to this baby. I just can't get over it. I don't know what was done to it, but it's been fine for the past 75K miles with little work needing to be done (only brake job).

By the way... NO TURBO-LAG ON THE HIGHWAY!!! I can't stand cars with turbo-lag.

It keeps me smiling every time I drive it :p

1986 Porsche 951 (944 Turbo) (166000)

1978 Porsche 924 (99000)

1996 Nissan Pathfinder R50 (201000)