Thread: 107 bumpers
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2003, 01:17 PM
M D Nugent

neileg -

I'm eager to learn something new - the problem could be with the term "euro" as though national reg differences within Europe don't exist. I know the turn signal lens color on Porsche 914's was amber most places, but split amber and white in others (Italy, I think), and I've seen a Triumph Spitfire that was required (in Denmark if I remember correctly) to have a small amber side marker (turn signal?) light at the rear of the front fender (bonnet, actually, but you know what I mean).

I'd never seen another example of the combo on the blue car (top picture of my last post) - it has the "triangular" front valance turn signals I'd only seen before on '72-73 US cars, plus the overriderless bumper, plus the "euro" headlight assemblies. If that wasn't put together by an individual, it must be specific to some national requirement, but sounds like not Germany or the UK.

I see the difficulty you point out with the term "true euros" and won't use it any more. What I meant was non-US cars. A lot of people over here refer to the bumpers on US-delivered '72-73 SL's as euros without distinction from the bumpers on non-US cars. As far as I know, no non-US SL's had bumper overriders standard, so that's usually a tip off, but not always apparently.