Thread: Refresh?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2003, 10:31 PM

I assume that your car is 25 to 30 years old. It probably cound use a new set of plugs and wires, a new distributor cap and rotor, and a new igniton coil. A bottle of Trechron fuel injector cleaner for the first few tank fulls of gas. New brake fluid probably wouldn't hurt if it has been sitting for a long time. Certainly a radiator flush and check all the hoses to make sure they aren't hard and cracked. New V-belts wouldn't hurt. Charge the battery on a slow charge overnight and then check it with a hydrometer to see that all cells are charging correctly. Check the oil lever in the rear end. No one ever checks that. The ac could probably use a recharge. A new air cleaner, check all fluid levels, check all electrical fuses,

All the above can by done at home and probably for less than $300. Check out your local parts store for the igniton parts. I got mine there and saved a bundle. The plug wires are exact copies of the MB ones and are about $40 cheaper.

Depending on the miles you might be needing a timing chain and upper guides. If you DYI you can get by for a couple of hundred in parts. The dealer will charge a thousand and a local foreign car repair shop might do it for $500.

Good luck.