View Single Post
Old 08-02-2003, 08:34 PM

I did the research on my 2-day SL500...

I've had my 1993 SL500 for 2 days now (ecstatic!), but I also took a while to find out what to look for.

The result was disappointing :-) There are no known problems. The only opinions I got said make sure the soft-top rams and electric motors are OK - as this gets quite expensive. They unanimously agreed I won't have any problems to worry about. Well made car, bulletproof engine and tranny.

Mind you, I made sure I only talked to experts... current and past owners of this model, my MB shop who had serviced my recently-sold 350SL the last 5 years, a local SL dealer for 30 yrs, and several others with a good SL background.

When I got my hands on my SL500 for a day before making a decision, I had a thorough pre-purchase check done by a pedantic MB mechanic at my shop (90 minutes), and a body check by the owner of a top-quality paint shop who regularly does Bentleys and other high end autos (1 hour).

Result? Extreme happiness!

You'll enjoy this car when you buy it... it is the only car I've driven that has the same acceleration as the several motorbikes I used to own. I'm not a speedster - my other car is a Daimler - but having the potential there for everyday use is very satisfying.

And what a looker! Only my wife looks better than this sleek beauty.

Ken Silver
--------------
1993 SL500, blue-black/black, soon to be best in country!
1991 Daimler, grey/grey, best in country!
1991 Miata MX5, BRG/leather, wife's
ex 350SL, 230E, 280E