View Single Post
Old 11-26-2000, 09:05 AM

Ok heres my problem, a part (which I am not sure what it is) on my exhaust system is rusted out and makes the car quite loud so I decided to drive around to a few places to see how much it would cost to replace. Well the part that is rusted out isnt the assembly right before the tailpipe but the one that is under the car by the rear drivers side door. The first shop I went to said it was a muffler but couldnt quote me a price because this muffler guide book didnt have a '86 300E listed but looked like it had every other MB model, the second place I went to also said it was a muffler but couldnt quote me a price because they had the same book as the first shop but they did tell me that they could replace whatever it was with something generic for $150, the third shop I went to told me it was a resonator but they couldnt tell me a price because they had the same book as the other shops. I am wondering what is this part I need replaced and what should I expect to pay for it? Also has anyone noticed that local mechanics are very reluctant to work on Mercedes? Nearly every place I go to I hear "Sorry we dont work on Mercedes" and they dont seem too happy that you are in there asking either, even though I have had a few Japanese cars worked on at these places that wont even touch mercedes automobiles. Sorry for such a long post, just getting it all out there at once. Thanks for your help also.

------------------
Adam,
1986 300E
1997 Acura Integra GS-R