View Single Post
Old 08-26-2003, 08:45 PM

what will it cost to replace factory system on 92 300E?

I would like a ballpark idea of what it will cost to replace the factory audio system on my 1992 300E. The tuner is unreliable and needs service. In addition, I just learned from Becker that they can no longer get parts for the Becker 10-CD changer, so its useful life is limited (though it works perfectly now). So rather than spend hundreds on repair of the tuner and risk obsolescence of all the units, I am thinking about ripping out the whole system and replacing it. This year 300E has the so-called two-part radio, with the tuner and amplifiers in the trunk. The head unit is thus not connected directly to the speakers, the speaker wires run to the trunk, and the fader is in the pre-amp circiuit, not the amp circuit. So it would be necessary to either run new speaker wires to all speakers from the new head unit, or to put a new amp in the trunk and probably new preamp wires from the new head unit to the trunk.
I am technically able to do this myself but have back and neck problems and cannot do the work from an orthopedic standpoint, so I have to pay someone else to do the install if I take this path. (It is tough to get old.)
If I were to do this, I think the first step would probably be to replace the head unit, tuner, and amps with a new head unit or head unit plus amps, and let the rest ride for now. Speakers could be replaced separately.
By the way, I enjoy good sound but am not a fanatic. I find the 300E original "high power" system adequate (although I thought the cheaper "extended bass" system in the 300D was better).
The question is, what would the labor cost? Obviously the cost of the hardware could range from $100 to a gazillion dollars. So what I am trying to decide is, what is the minimum I would have to spend, and how does that compare to the easy path of having Becker repair the current unit. (Complete Becker-rebuilt radio replacements are available for $595 plus a core charge, from places like Adsit.)
So, you folks that have installed replacements in your W124 sedans, what can you tell me about the costs?
Thanks for the inputs.
Dave B