View Single Post
Old 08-27-2003, 02:57 AM

Niggles

As can be seen from my signature, I have one. I am sure you have seen the advice in the forum that you should have the car fully inspected by a mail dealer. If the seller does not agree, you should walk away.

Mine had no faults when I bought it four years ago from the dealer. Since then, it has had a variety of small niggles, some of which are not yet fixed. It will be in for its 60k km/36k mile service on the 10th and 11th of September.

The faults:-
- Leaking hard top. Didn't leak last winter after I followed a tip here about applying vaseline along the seals before putting it on. Have changed employer, and will have outdoor parking this winter, so we will see.
- Driver-side headreast gear slips, so headrest does not go up and down.
- Driver-side orthopedic seat air currently not working. Can hear air leaking at valve.
- Two radio antenna masts so far, as they just seem to lock up.
- Tempremental remote locking. (Once a month, the lock lights stay on after operating, of course not while the dealer is checking it, and the passenger side receiver no longer seems to work.)
- Leaking radiator expansion chamber. Leaks where the metal part that supports the cap meets the plastic part.
- Bulb behind external temperature LCD has blown.
- Driver-side heated seat blows fuses regularly when I switch it straight to high position. Fine if I start off on low heat.

The car is still a pleasure to drive. Everything mechanical is wonderful! It's "character" (meaning the things above) irritates my wife. She spotted a 12-month old new SL at the local MB dealer, which is what ultimately led me to order the CLK500 convertible, as I need more than two seats. 9-month lead time. Delivery April. The new E should arrive in January.

Momo