View Single Post
Old 09-15-2003, 01:19 PM

Hard starting question

I just changed the delivery valve seals and o-rings a few days ago (thanks to all the help I found here it was a relatively easy process), but now have picked up a hard-starting issue. I am pretty sure the glow plugs are bad, according to the diagnostic procedures in the manual. But, before I changed the seals, it started fairly easy. It did smoke on startup a little, but started pretty quickly. Of course, I only started it cold a time or two before I changed the seals. (Diesel was pretty much running out the top of the IP when I bought it, so I didn't drive it too far before I got the seals changed) Now the weather has turned a little cooler here, and the last two days startup has been terribly difficult. It must crank several seconds before it even fires, then stumbles and dies a few times before it will start. Then after about 30 seconds of coughing and weezing it takes off and idles smooth as silk. So, my question is, am I just experiencing the lack of glow plugs coupled with the cooler weather? Or, is there something I may have screwed up in the process of changing the seals that has increased starting difficulty. I have new glow plugs on the way, so I will change them anyway. But I thought I would get you guys' opinions. Sorry for the long post. On edit, I realized I forgot to give specifics on the motor. It is an 87 SDl-603 engine.