Thread: MB Quality
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2003, 03:29 PM

I guess I would look at the price competition. I remember how much a 1985 300E cost when new. A brand new 2003 E320 is not that much more, considering that almost 20 years have passed.

Something had to give.

I think it is Lexus. They give people what they want in terms of quality. Everything that the average person touches or feels is fantastic -- at a reasonable price. What you don't touch or feel is plastic -- albeit well engineered and reliable plastic. Over time, Mercedes has adopted the same approach.

The 300E was a car. One that would go forever if well maintained. My E430, while nice and reliable etc, is simply no match. Just look at the number of rattles in these new cars. My guess is that it is all the plastic and cheap fasteners behind the nice leather and wood. My 1992 500 sl is as quiet as new.

I appreciate the quality of the 300E and 500 SL. I appreciate the built to last engineering. My E430 is a lexus with a different badge. (Still love the car though).

In fairness to Mercedes, they had no choice. People are superficial and they are the ones shelling out the money. Accountants won this battle behind the scenes.

My two cents.

Mike