Thread: MB Quality
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2003, 09:17 AM
it leaks, its german

Compared to what? Lexus, BMW, Mazda, Toyota, VW? Lets face it, in the quest for cheaper build costs, everyone has picked up issues.

BMWs eat window regulators as bad as 210 cars, if not worse, Lexus has that lovely V6 that cokes up, Mazda had Ford engine management systems and transmissions. Toyota has squeaks, ugly cars and the same coking issues along with window regulators that Lexus does. VW eats regulators and has a few engines with 40K timing belt replacement intervals! Old school engineering has gone out the window.

Yes, MB has quality problems, we all know that. You can blame it on the vendors, engineers, designers or whatever but I think most of it falls to wanting to be the first to market with any new, high tech thingy. This is cool but, they really need to real world test the stuff before turning it loose on JQP. The interiors are fine, not the same level of fit and finish as the older stuff but, adequate. Personally I think the door panels are better than the older cars while the dash pads and consoles are worse, pretty much balances out. Noises are as much a lowering of frequency that bodys are tuned to as anything.

Personally I think the bigger issue for all manufacters is in the ability of techs to both understand and repair these high tech marvels. Afterall if your car breaks thats fine, if you cant get it fixed quickly and correctly thats not fine..... period. (those of you with 211 cars and "gateway" issues know what I'm talking about)

Joe
Acme Automotive Inc.
Raleigh NC
919-881-0364