View Single Post
Old 09-28-2003, 09:08 AM

R129 soft top creasing won't go away

After having a new German soft top for my 350SL which presented immaculately, I'm very disappointed in the one on my 10 year-old R129. It has what seems to be permanent crinkles at the sides even after I've had it up for about a week now.

As well, the rear window has a shallow horizontal crease in the middle - not a bad one, but noticeable when I look through it from inside - and the rear quarterlights have a biggish shallow crease in the middle.

I've tried steaming the fabric creases out with a household iron (not touching the fabric but squirting steam on it), to no avail. The top appears as new with no yellowing of the windows, and the fabric is black. Looks like it has never been up, so I've got a few years creases to combat.

I'm not alone... many of the R129's on eBay - and some quite new - have the same fault. It mars the look of the car and I want to improve the fabric and windows if I can.

Any tips, secrets or ideas here?

By the way, this is the only disappointment I have with this machine... otherwise I'm totally happy with it. Then again, I'm probably preaching to the converted here!

Ken Silver
--------------
~1993 SL500, glistening blue-black on black leather, xenons, no headlight wipers (from choice).
~1991 Daimler, shiny grey on grey leather, best in country!
~1991 Miata MX5, sparkling BRG on tan leather, wife's (but my polishing)
~1992 Honda US s/wagon, black/grey
ex 350SL, 230E, 280E (and a lot of other makes not nearly as nice)